Astrology is an ancient science of predicting the course of human destiny with the help of indications deduced from the positions and movements of planets. In ancient India, it was supposed that a Physician should know the Principles of Astrology and the effects of planets on human being, the diseases it can produce, its duration and fatality. In Ayurveda also there is an unexplained relation between particular Tithi, Nakshatra etc indicating the manifestation of a disease and its seriousness. Present paper will deal with some basic principles of Astrology, zodiac signs, and some Yogas of planets which can help a physician to clinch the diagnosis and will also help in the selection of better treatment modality.
Destiny is relentlessly incontrovertible and is virtual governor of every facet of human life. No one from a beggar to king can escape its mandate. A beggar becomes king and a king becomes a wreck, a pundit becomes a fool and a fool becomes a Pundit under its unfathomable pranks.
Astrology plays an important role in our life. Most bookstores have many books on the subject, nearly every newspaper has an astrology column and one can get your horoscope through the Internet, but what is the precise definition of Astrology?
Astrology is an ancient science of predicting the course of human destiny with the help of indications deduced from the positions and movements of heavenly bodies. In other words Astrology is the study of real or supposed relationship between the heavens and the people on the earth. Astrologers believe that the entire universe is the manifestation of ‘Divine will’ and hence is subject to interpretation. So Astrology is ‘God’s words on mans sojourn on this planet.’ It can be best summarized as by saying ‘as above, so below.
In ancient days all doctors were expected to know Astrology and its relation to disease, - what disease will be produced under different planetary conditions, the duration of such disease and whether or not they will prove fatal. “A Physician cannot safely administer medicine if he is unacquainted with Astrology” said Hippocrates who is known as the ‘Father of Medicine’. Even in Ayurvedic literature, there is an unexplained relation between the several diseases, poisoning, its prognosis and planetary positions. Man’s own deeds or Karma finds manifestation in Physical, Mental and spiritual planes. The resultant of evil Karma on Physical as well as Mental plane is disease. Modern investigations and researches in various branches of science including medicine have been useful for the betterment of humanity as a whole. Yet there is something hidden which cannot be perceived by stethoscopes, X-ray or any other modern equipment, in such cases Astrology may assure fruitful results. Following are the basic terms which is frequently used in the field of Astrology–
1. Horoscope / Birth Chart: The Map of the Hour at a particular moment or at the time of birth.
2. Sun Sign: The sign or Constellation against which the sun appears to rise on the day of birth.
3. Ascendant or Rising sign (Lagna): The sign at the time of Birth of an individual. The sunrise point itself is called as the Ascendant. It is the mind and general approach to the life. If the first house is afflicted, it is surely the results of the past Karmas.
Classification of Astrology: Roughly, Astrology can be classified as-
1. Natal Astrology: Analyzing individual character and predicting his future.
2. Mundane Astrology: Deals with universal phenomenon, natural calamities etc.
3. Horary Astrology: Assumptions based on the horoscope of a given moment and its significance.
Following are the 12 zodiac constellations with its specific duration according to English calendar.
1. Aries - (Mar 21-Apr 20)
2. Taurus - (Apr 21- May 21)
3. Gemini - (May22-June 21)
4. Cancer - (June22-July23)
5. Leo - (July24-Aug23)
6. Virgo - (Aug24-Sep.23)
7. Libra - (Sep 24-Oct 23)
8. Scorpio - (Oct 24-Nov 22)
9. Sagittarius - (Nov 23-Dec 22)
10. Capricorn - (Dec23-Jan20)
11. Aquarius - (Jan21-Feb19)
12. Pisces - (Feb 20-Mar20)
And there are 9 major planets, according to Astrology, which produces a major influence on human life
The common characters of each zodiac sign, ruling organs and commonly found pathological manifestations are as follows-
1. Aries: Aries are Impulsive in nature; Inability to listen others is one more character of this sign. Do not always finish what they set out to do. Aries rules the brain and nerve centres, carotid arteries internally, and externally the cranium, jaw and facial bones. Aries is subject to all kinds of head complaints like sinusitis, headaches, tooth and gum afflictions, baldness and are prone to accident or injuries to the head and face. As a sign of this celestial association, many Aries individuals are born with a birth mark on their head or face.
2. Taurus: It is the second zodiac sign, which is having strong desire for security, either it is physical or mental. Externally, Taurus rules the throat, neck, ears and lower jaw. Internally, it rules the thyroid gland, pharynx, larynx, jugular vein, tonsils, Eustachian tubes, cervical ganglia and carotid arteries. Pathological manifestations found in Taurus are Tonsillitis, Laryngitis, Stiff Neck, ear and throat problems, stroke & lymphatic stasis of neck.
3. Gemini: This is the Third Zodiac Sign. Often it is said that these .Perennial teenagers. As they looks younger than what their actual age is Talkative, Moody, Music lovers are their qualities. Externally, Gemini rules the shoulders and upper arms, internally, the breath, nerve fibers, thymus gland and lungs, trachea and bronchi. Gemini’s are subjected to Structural deformity of the clavicle, scapula and humorous. There is always a chance that they may suffer from two Diseases at the same time. Respiratory problems are also common in them.
4. Cancer: the Crab, fourth sign of the tropical zodiac. Cancerian people are very complex, at certain times appearing to have the strength of a hero and at other times displaying the weakness of a child. This is because they react emotionally to everything they experience in life. Externally, it rules the breasts, epigastric region and the elbows. Internally, it rules the stomach, digestive organs, and upper lobe of the liver, thoracic duct, pancreas, blood serum and womb. The entire act of digestion with peristalsis and chymification is ruled by Cancer. Indigestion, stomach ulcer, flatulence, jaundice and liver torpidity and mammary affections are common. They should take precaution against lymphatic stasis. Emotional disorders such as depression, hypochondria and hysteria are also common.
5. Leo: fifth sign of the tropical zodiac. Person belonging to this sign may be self-centred. Internally, Leo rules the heart, spinal cord, liver metabolism, spleen, pulmonary arteries and aorta, superior and inferior vena cava. Externally, the Lion governs the back and forearm, while structurally, the twelve dorsal vertebrae. Leo is most vulnerable to suffer from Acute Myocardial Infarction, Palpitations, Pericarditis, and Rheumatic Heart Disease. It may also develop various kinds of eye diseases.
6. Virgo: This is sixth sign of the tropical zodiac. Person belonging to this sign shows intellectual, critical and analytical approach to life. Virgo is with an irresistible urge to improve everything and everyone (whether they need it or not!). Their world is subject to microscopic analysis and they become engrossed in trivialities leading to worry and ill-health. Internally, Virgo rules the abdominal region, large and small intestines, spleen, solar plexus, lower lobes of the liver, pancreas, portal veins and has some influence on the generative organs. Externally, it rules the umbilicus, hands and nails. Structurally, it rules the carpal bones. The sign Virgo is prone to diseases of ovary, and Uterus. Complaints of kidney stones, Nephritis are also common among them.
7. Libra: the seventh sign of the tropical zodiac. They tend to be hard workers, especially after the age of thirty. Inability to make firm decisions, especially under pressure is their major drawback. Libra rules the excretory functions through the kidneys and skin. Externally it rules the lumbar region, buttocks, adrenals and vasomotor system. Pathological manifestations found in Libra are Kidney disease, Uraemia, Polyuria, renal calculi and oedema and low back pain.
8. Scorpio: This is the eighth sign of the tropical zodiac. Externally, Scorpio rules the nose and nasal bones, the pubic area and genital organs. Internally, it rules the gonads, hemoglobin, bladder, prostate, descending colon, sigmoid flexure and rectum. It has influence over the vocal cords and larynx. Disease of genital tract, and degenerative changes or fracture of bones of Pubic region is commonly found in Persons with Scorpio sign.
9. Sagittarius: It is the Ninth sign of the tropical zodiac. Intellectual curiosity covers a wide range of subjects, but Sagittarius does get bored and restless when surrounded by dull people or circumstances. These are freedom-loving people. Externally, Sagittarius rules the region around the hips, gluteal muscles, thighs and has considerable influence over the muscles in general. Internally, it has ruler ship of the sciatic nerve, iliac arteries and veins and considerable influence on the liver, lungs and motor nerves. Sagittarius is more prone to Sciatica, Arthritis, and diseases involving of Hip joint.
10. Capricorn: This is tenth sign of the tropical zodiac. These are freedom loving hard workers but they have to struggle for their economy. Externally, Capricorn rules the joints (especially the knees), hair, teeth and skin; internally, the mucous membranes, the peripheral nerves and portions of the stomach. Capricorns are more prone to Arthritis, Skin allergies and frozen joints. They may show Anxiety and other psychological manifestations.
11. Aquarius: This is eleventh sign of the tropical zodiac. This is Intellectual and unorthodox sign which believes in science. Aquarians are emotionally detached. They often adopt lifestyles and ideas that run counter to current trends. Externally this sign rules the calves, tibia and ankles. Internally, Sun in Aquarius rules the circulation, breath and eyesight. Aquarians may suffer nervous disorders, Hypertension, Cardiac Disease and Varicose veins.
12. Pisces: This is twelfth sign of them tropical zodiac. This is the sign of expanded emotions, sensitivity. They are generally not ambitious for materialistic gain, preferring human interactions. Shy Pisceans would much rather impersonate someone else than be themselves. No wonder so many of them is actors, artists, writers, and dreamers. Elusive Neptune makes it hard to predict how they will develop. Pisces can be a daredevil and risk-taker. Internally, Pisces rules the lymphatic system, synovial fluids and functions of the glands in general. Externally, it rules the feet and toes and structurally the bones of the feet. Pisceans are more prone to psychosomatic illness, allergic reactions, Grievous Injuries to Leg.
Basics of Horoscope Chart: 
Horoscope chart contains 12 houses; each of them is having a specific importance. It can be made in two different ways, North Indian or South Indian. Apart from the difference in appearance, the major factor, which differs, is direction of plotting the planets. In north Indian chart they are plotted anti-clockwise where as in South Indian chart it is clockwise in direction.
The twelve houses of a horoscope:
1. Life (Personality)
7. Marriage (Spouse)
8. Death (Place)
11. Prosperity (Income)
All these planets have various angular relationships. This is called as the vision or the aspect of that planet Opposition, Trine, Square and Sextile etc. According to Astrology diseases can be classified as
1. Inherent: where the diseases are due to the afflictions in the birth chart. Inherent diseases are considered as the result of the previous Karmas.
2. Active: Diseases are produced with every evil transit of the planet which makes the Ascendant weak. Some Yogas (Combinations of Planets) which can produce malefic effects on Ascendant are described here.
Kalasarpa Yoga : When all the planets are accumulated at one side of Rahu and Ketu where Rahu is situated in Ascendant and Ketu in the 7th house is called as Kalasarpa Yoga.
Kalasarpa Yoga may form in 12 different ways such as Takshak Kalasarpa Yoga, Vasuki Kalasarpa Yoga, Padma Kalasarpa Yoga etc. This yoga is having malefic effects in all the sense like Physical as well as psychological properties of a person. One may suffer from several diseases under its influence. Partial Kalasarpa Yoga may form when Moon steps out from the above picture to the left side. In such condition, the effect will be somewhat reduced.
Visha Yoga: When debilitated planet is present in the third house and enemy planet watching the planet in the enemy zodiac sign Visha Yoga is formed. In the above chart Sun is afflicted by Saturn and Mars.
Unmad Yoga: When Sun is Present in Ascendant & Mars in seventh House or
If Saturn is in Ascendant and Mars in 5th/ 7th/9th house, it forms Visha Yoga. Person under the influence is more prone to poisoning. It may be either Homicidal or suicidal in nature.
Kushtha Yoga: When all the Evil Planets except lord of Ascendant are in Ascendant. In the above case Saturn Rahu and Mars all the evil planets are present in Ascendant while the lord of the ascendant i.e. Sun is present in 5th house. This formas Kushtha Yoga, where the person is most prone to develop Kushtha or any type of Skin disease.
Following are the cases which were diagnosed by the modern science and whose Horoscope chart also revealed the probability of suffering from the same disease.
1. Lagna afflicted by Malefic Saturn, conjoined with malefic Sun
2. 9th house from Lagna is afflicted by Rahu
3. Gemini sign ruling hands is afflicted.
Pituitary Gland Tumour:
1. Sun in the 6th house hemmed between malefic.
2. Lord of Lagna is conjoined with Malefic.
3. Aries sign afflicted by all aspects of Malefic
1. Ketu is in 7th house, afflicted by SaturnRahu in Ascendant
2. Mars who governs blood is aspected by Rahu.
3. Virgo sing in afflicted.
1. Rahu in 8th house.
2. Lagna is afflicted by Mercury
3. Sun and Moon under malefics. Scorpio is afflicted.
1. Venereal Disease
1. Scorpio afflicted by Saturn & Mars
2. Lagna afflicted by Saturn
3. Venus is afflicted by Saturn and Rahu
1. Diabetes mellitus:
1. Ascendant Pisces,
2. Ruler Jupiter in 6th house
3. Saturn in 9th house,
4. Sun conjoined with Ketu in 7th house.
5. Patient died of Acidosis.
What turns it down?
Astrology is not supported by scientific evidence as very few researches have been carried out so far. Astrology is considered as an arbitrary, as there is always a chance of variation in the final results.
Astrology is condemned by the Bible as an attempt to live without dependence on God. This may be one of the reasons of why the science of Astrology besmirched.
Conclusion: Indian Vedic astrology is an ancient science which has been propounded and preached by the Indian sages, seers.Ancient idea or the apparent hypothesis is that the misuse of the creative force is the sole cause of the manifestation of the disease.
The fundaments purpose of medical Astrology is to give the planetary influence, which cause the various diseases, afflictions and accidents. It is an important branch of vital science, which requires a rare combination an Astrologer and a Physician. Since it is based on astronomy, the predictions made are dependent on the accuracy of one’s personal data of birth, time of birth and place of birth. The science of foreknowledge is not only useful in diagnosis but also to determine longevity of the patient before starting the treatment. By adapting the affordable remedies suggested in Astrology, one can lead a better and healthier life.