planet, it is worshipped. Worship, Yajna and donation pacify the planet and thus the native gets good results and evil days go off simultaneously. Worshipping the planets and chanting the appropriate mantras are quite helpful. In continuation, one should perform havana of dashamsha; dashamsha tarpan of havana, dashamsha marjan of tarpan and dashamsha brahman bhojan of marjari. All these must be performed under the able guidance of a Brahmin scholar to have desired result without fail.
Procedure of worshipping the Navagrahas
At first, arrange all the things essential for the worship of Navagrahas. One shouldn’t get up to get things once the worship begins. The native who is to worship the Navagrahas, should leave his bed meditating his own God-Goddess. He must then ease himself off and take a bath. He must sprinkle the water of Ganga in his water for bath. While performing the pooja the native should sit facing east where the priest must face north. Both must sit cross legged. Once again the native should sprinkle the water of Ganga on himself contemplating his 'Isht Deva'. He should chant the following mantra simultaneously in order to purify himself.
Om Apavitrah Pavitro Va Sarvavastha Gatopi Va.
Yah Smaret Pundarikaksham Sa Bahyamyantra Shuchih.
Abstract: O Lord of this Universe, Jagdishwar! We make ourselves sacred by contemplating you.
After this, the following steps are performed while chanting various mantras.
- 1. Aasan (seat) should be purified by sprinkling water on it.
- 2. In various provinces sacred thread is changed during the worship of Navagrahas. The native in that case wears a new sacred thread.
- 3. If wife and husband sit together, the priest should tie them with their clothes.
- 4. Now sip water thrice from your right hand and chant the mantras all the while:
Om Keshavaya Namah,
Om Narayanaya Namah
Om Madhavaya Namah
- 5. Once you have done the ablution you should purify your head with this mantra:
Om Hrishikeshaya Namah
- 6. Light up a Deep of ghee.
- 7. Now take a Sankalp for Navagraha Pujan and pray - O, light like lord, kindle good ideas in my self. O lords - the Sun, Varuna, Indra, Brihaspati and Vishnu! kindly bless us and ensure our welfare.
- 8. You can now start worship of Navagrahas - obviously with sankalp.
- 9. First of all Lord Ganesh is invoked and his worship is performed.
- 10. Once you are through with the worship of Ganesh go for the worship of all the planets according to the scriptures.
Worshipping the Sun
Of the Navagrahas, the Sun is at the top. He bestows energy on one and all. Those desirous of his worship should do so on any Sunday - but after worshipping lord Ganesh. After Sthapana of the Sun, his worship should be accomplished according to Ganesha pujan. In the course of worship one should meditate about the Sun and chant his mantras and beeja-mantras. The worshipper must recite Surya Gayatri mantra, Sri Aditya Hridaya Stotra and Surya Dwadash Naamstotra.
After all these, the native should donate some wheat, jaggery, copper, clothes, ruby and red piece of cloth according to his capacity. As per the scriptures lord Vishnu too should be worshipped along with the Sun. Note that Sunday is the day of worship for the Sun and fast in his name. But this fast i.e. Ravivariya Vrata should commence on first Sunday of Shukla Paksha of Jyestha and be continued on 12 Sundays or till the wish is fulfilled. The worshipper should have wheat bread (rotis) along with jaggery or sugar before sun-set. He should not eat salt.
Worship of Lord Moon
Moon is nearest to the Earth. It has a great impact on our body and psyche. To start worship of Moon, take some white flowers in your folded hands and meditate that ‘Kshir-saagar-born lord moon, along with Rohini come and accept my offering and Bless me with well-being’. Later on, perform worship according to that of Lord