When two planets are in an aspect and one of them is regtrograde, the other moves towards it at a faster rate. This is known as Mutual Application. Retrogression is an appearance caused by the combined motions of a planet and the earth and their relative motion to Sun. No planet retraces in its orbit. If a planets' longitude goes on decreasing then it is said to be in retrograde motion. Sun & Moon are never retrograde while Rahu & Ketu are retrograde always.
There are different versions to what effect a retrograde motion would give, a few of which are :
- 1. Westerners feel when benefic planets are in retrograde they weaken their beneficial results while a malefic planet in such a position improves the evil double fold. When two planets which are retrograde are in good aspect, the results indicated by the aspect would be deficient and disappointing. An evil aspect of a retrograding planet accentuates evil effects.
- 2. Hindu mythology states a planet conjoined with a retrograde planet gets increased strength. An exalted planet in retrogression attains debilitation while a debilitated planet attains exaltation. A retrograde planet possesses strength even in its depression or inimical sign or amsha.
In Natal charts retrogression has no importance. However in Horary horoscope, the following results accrue as per KP :
- 1. A retrograde planet in the constellation of a planet which is in direct motion, indicates matter will materialize after obstacle and delay, when it comes in direct motion and passes beyond the point wherefrom retrograde motion started.
- 2. A planet in retrogression in the constellation of another retrograde planet or in its own, promises only failure.
- 3. A planet in direct motion, in the constellation of a retrograde planet, one cannot have success (Rahu & Ketu should not be taken as retrograde for this purpose of analysis.)
Combustion of Light
Planets within a distance of 5° from the Sun are said to be in combustion (totally eclipsed). However, if they are 10° away from the Sun, the combustion is moderate while beyond 15° there is no combustion.
It may be mentioned that if two planets may not be having a direct aspect between themselves but could be having a link planet which produces the aspect. Thus if Mars in Taurus 5° and Jupiter in Scorpio 17° they are not in opposition as Jupiter 4° falls beyond 13° of Scorpio upto which the orb of opposition extends. If however, if Moon is in 11° Leo it will be square to both Mars & Jupiter (after allowing the orb for square aspect). It will then transmute the influence of the malefic Mars towards the benefic Jupiter.
Moon, situated in between them has brought about opposition aspect between Mars and Jupiter though it did not prevail earlier.
Exaltation & Debilitation
In K.P. if a planet is exalted, but is in a constellation of a debilitated planet, its ability to do good or bad is limited. However, if a planet is in debilitation and is running in the constellation of an exalted planet it magnifies its abilities manifold.
Eclipse - Result of Planets involved in Eclipse
If any heavenly body Intercepts the light of another heavenly body and the onlooker is unable to see the farther off planet it is said to be eclipsed. The nearer planet deprives the light of the more distant planet. Its brilliance, the circular shape and splendour will be lost.
In the Solar system, Sun is taken as the Central body around which the planets move round and round. Each planet has its own orbit- its own pathway round the Sun. But the earth and the Moon go round the Sun, together. The one feature of Moon which is about 2,40,000 miles away from the earth goes round the earth once in 27.5 days and both Moon and earth go round the Sun once a year.
Mercury and Venus are very near Sun. Sun is 93 million miles away from the earth.