- Fast moving planet with less longitude should be behind the slow moving planet with higher longitude.
- The said planets should have mutual aspect.
- The said planet should fall within the orb of each other.
- The ithasala yoga does not occur when the said planets fall within outer orb i.e. faster moving planet with higher longitude but fall within orb.
In actual practice we look for the Ithasala yoga between Lagnesh and Karyesha i.e. the lord of lagna and the lord of the house of desired objective- significator. Let us assume that one desires to purchase a car. He enquires whether he will purchase a car?
In this case the lord of 4th house becomes the significator, for 4th house stands for vehicle and other things. The ithasala between lagna lord and 4th lord will influence the signification of 4th house, the exact analysis will involve a consideration of the houses in which the lagna lord and the significator are located and other planetary influences.
In chart 3 the Moon 4th lord and the fast moving planet with less longitude is behind the slow moving planet Mars with more longitude. So there is ithasala yoga in which 4th lord and lagna lord are involved, the yoga is taking place in auspicious house (5th). So the native will have gain of vehicle.
The planets Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury and Moon are considered to be progressively faster in motion. Saturn is the slowest moving planet and Moon is the fastest moving planet.
Important Points for consideration in Ithasala:
- 1. A retrograde faster moving planet at lesser number of degree of longitude does not produce Ithasala because both planets are in opposite direction of motion. In example chart Saturn is slow moving planet and Jupiter is fast moving planet with lesser number of degrees. Apparently they have ithasala but the Jupiter being retrograde planet does not produce ithasala.
- 2. A slow moving retrograde planet at more number of degree of longitude than the fast moving planet produce ithasala because the direction of motion of the two planets is towards each other. They will meet at a point faster than otherwise. So they intensify the Ithasala. In the above example chart Venus being retrograde and slow moving planet than Mercury will meet early at a point.
- 3. When both ithasala producing planets are retrograde, debilitated, combust or otherwise weak or afflicted, the ithasala yoga generally doesn't produce desired results.
It is also called as Mushrif or Separating Yoga.